Do you suffer with sensitive, cracked teeth? It could be caused by tooth wear. Book an appointment today to see how Smiles on Broadway can help.
Tooth wear is used to describe the progressive loss of the surface of the tooth, due to actions other than decay or trauma. For example, this may include every day wear and tear, incorrect oral hygiene and dietary issues.
There are three main forms of tooth wear
1. Erosion – The progressive loss of tooth surfaces by chemical or acid dissolution. This is common in those who regularly consume carbonated soft drink and fruit juices with high levels of acidity. It can also be a problem for those who suffer with acid reflux and certain eating disorders.
2. Attrition – The progressive loss of tooth surfaces by chewing or grinding. This is common in those who clench and grind their teeth.
3. Abrasion – The progressive loss of hard tooth surfaces caused by mechanical actions other than chewing or grinding. This is commonly associated with incorrect toothbrushing techniques and the long-term use of tongue jewellery
There are a variety of different treatment available. Here at Smiles on Broadway we will ensure that you are provided with a tailor-made treatment plan to deal with the specific cause of tooth wear you are experiencing. This may mean providing you with: a night guard to wear, oral hygiene technique instruction, dietary advice. Alongside standard dental treatment such as crowns and fillings to help protect damaged teeth.Read More
You only get one set of adult teeth and so it is little wonder that they can start to experience some wear and tear over a lifetime. But what can you do to protect your teeth from everything life throws at you?
Luckily the experts at Smiles on Broadway have all the skills you need to make sure you keep a great looking smile for as long as possible.
What is tooth wear?
Tooth wear is the loss of a tooth’s surface caused, not by decay or trauma, but by everyday wear and tear, incorrect dental hygiene or dietary/health issues.
What types of tooth wear are there?
There are three kinds of tooth wear – abrasion, attrition and erosion.
– Abrasion is caused by adopting an incorrect brushing technique or using a brush that is too hard.
– Attrition is caused by excessive contact between the surfaces of your teeth. This can cause the teeth to flatten, making them unsightly and more prone to sensitivity.
– Erosion is caused by overexposure to acidic substances such as fizzy drinks and fruit juices.
How are they treated?
Each type of tooth wear is treated in a different way. Abrasion sufferers are advised on better brushing techniques, with any sensitivity treated accordingly. Attrition is dealt with by supplying an appropriate nightguard to reduce wear, with crowns used to reduce sensitivity. Erosion can be caused by a variety of health conditions – such as anorexia, bulimia and acid reflux – while all dietary factors will be also investigated to identify the root cause. In addition, any deep erosion cavities filled or earmarked for root canal treatment as appropriate.
Why should I use Smiles on Broadway to treat my tooth wear?
At Smiles on Broadway, we know that tooth wear is a common problem – but that doesn’t mean it can be cured with one simple solution.
We will give you a personalised treatment plan that suits the kind of tooth wear you are experiencing – the wrong decision could make the problem worse, so you want to make sure you have the best team on your side.
Once identified, we will create prevention programme for you to help prevent further damage to your teeth, while any wear requiring repair will be undertaken by one of our dentists.
If you would like to find out more about our tooth wear services, simply contact our team – we’re always happy to help.