Complaints Procedure

Practice procedures

1. Call a meeting with the practice team, Complaints officer, Practice Manager Donna Joseph and Principal Dentist, Dr Dee Gawley to discuss the complaint.
2. A solution should be agreed within 10 working days from the initial complaint
3. Any patient with a comment of complaint she be directed towards the Complaints Manager to record the details, the practice must acknowledge the complaint verbally or in writing if the complaint was received in writing again within 3 working days
4. If the problem is clinical, the Clinician involved should seek advice from their defence union before dealing with it promptly or personally

The important time scales are

  • Three working days to acknowledge verbally or in writing, this will include an offer to discuss the matter with the Complaints Manager
  • Ten working days of the date the complaint was made to try to reach a solution, however investigations can sometimes take up to three months. We will keep patients informed of any developments either face to face, by telephone, e-mail or letter and inform them how their complaint is being handled
  • Complaints have to be made within twelve months of the incident occurring or the cause for concern or within twelve months of the date on which matter came to the notice of the complainant
  • Any complaints that have been outstanding and unresolved after 6 months must be reviewed to ensure that everything is being done to attempt to resolve the case.
  • This could be an internal review or the PCT complaints service will be happy to do this for you.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

At all times throughout the procedure we will ensure confidentiality is kept. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we will require written permission from that person before we can discuss anything with you

Where this is not possible, i.e. they are mentally or physically incapable of giving permission, we will require the written permission of their legal guardian or carer. We will require proof of who this person is

Where can I complain outside of the practice?

Complaining about NHS treatment

If you wish to make a complaint about the care or service provided by your Dentist or dental surgery, it’s worth while discussing your concerns either with the Dentist or the Complaints Manager to first see if the issue can be resolved quickly. You can complain in writing, by email, or by speaking to someone.

  • Email with “for the attention of the complaints team”
  • Phone 0300 311 22 33
  • Use the British Sign Language service
  • A hospital’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) if your treatment was carried out in hospital
  • NHS complaints service
  • Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
  • Care Quality Commission (CQC) – The CQC does not settle individual disputes, but your feedback about a practice helps it to decide when, where and what to inspect
  • Failing these options you may wish to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman on 0345 015 4033

Complaining about Private dental treatment

If you wish to make a complaint about private dental services, contact the complaints manager, the practice will try to resolve your complaint.

If you’re not happy with the way your dental practice deals with your complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction, contact the Dental Complaints service (DCS).

This service is funded by the General Dental Council (GDC) which sets out standards of conduct and regulates all dental professionals in the UK.

You can call the Dental Complaints service (DCS) on 020 8253 0800 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or fill out a complaints form on its website @



Write to:
Dental Complaints Service,
Stephenson House,
2 Cherry Orchard Road,
Croydon CR0 6BA

Review 29/04/2019